Monday, December 7, 2009

Best Beach Food

Yep, I know it's Christmas season and you are probably wondering why I am writing about the best food to bring to the beach.

Firstly, I live in a tropical country and my place is about 10 minutes from the beach. We have gazzilions of beach resorts and they are often venues for company and family outings. We can go to the beach all year round without risk of freezing. And yes, christmas parties and get-aways can be done at the beach. In fact, so far, I have 3 beach parties lined up for this month.


Now, I have searched and asked several people about the best food you can bring and eat at the beach. Here is a list of those:
1. Sandwiches (hey, what kind?)
2. Grilled Fish
3. Chips - corn, potato and tortilla
4. Hotdogs!
5. Fruits - watermelon, mangoes and bananas
6. Salads
7. Grilled Pork
8. Ice Cream
9. Coke


Of course I added the last one. It's one of the things I cannot live without, I think.


This coming weeked would be our get-together with some of my friends. We plan on going to a newly opened beach resort not too far from where I live. I have tasked myself to bring the sandwiches and, in order to apply my new kitchen skills, I will make them myself. Here is a recipe I have learned in class and planning to make for our beach party.



CLUB SANDWICH
Ingredients:
      2 slices bacon
      1 chicken breast
      3 slices bread, toasted
      3 tablespoons mayonnaise
      2 leaves iceberg lettuce
      1 slice tomato
      1 slice cucumber
      1 egg, scrambled
     
Ok, I will be honest, this is not strictly the recipe I got from class. I have added in some extras to make it the best and the most filling club sandwich in the world. lol.


Directions: 
1.  Cook bacon over medium heat in a heavy skillet until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels. Do the same with the chicken breast. Toast bread slices. I suggest you do this in a pan instead of using a bread toaster so that the bread would not be too hard and too toasted. 


2.  Spread each slice of bread with mayonnaise. On one slice of toast, place the chicken, lettuce and tomato. Cover with a slice of toast, then over that, place the bacon, egg, lettuce and the cucumber . Top with last slice of toast 


Think that would be good enough? Of course there is no hard and fast rule in making sandwiches. One can use his imagination on what to add in his sandwich. In my own recipe, I just made sure that the ingredients I love finding in a sandwich are there. Bacon, egg...all of the above enumerated, actually. I am already excited about my beach party. I will make sure to make a lot of sandwiches as sea air tend to give me a big appetite.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment