Saturday, October 10, 2009

Desserts and Rum Balls


According to many, dessert is a course that should come at the end of a meal. However, what is available for dessert can oftentimes be the factor in considering where to eat and even what to eat for our main course.

Last night, my husband and I decided to eat someplace special. So, armed with my VIP card, we headed to one of the pioneer hotels in the city. The restaurant was not full so I was glad of the promise of a quiet but sumptuous dinner. The appetizers and the main course were good, taken with some light piano music and light-hearted conversation, but I was secretly excited about dessert. After all the flavorful dishes, I ordered for strong brewed coffee and headed to the dessert table.

Admittedly, the dessert table was not too big but the cakes on display looked promising. My plate was small but it was heaped with petit fours and a rum ball.  I was hesitant to take a rum ball because I had never been a fan. I tried making some about two years ago and it was not a success. I made it too soggy and the rum taste was too strong that it overpowered everything else. But the rum balls last night looked so cute and perfect that I bravely took one. And another one. And another one. It was perfect with my brewed coffee.  As my husband looked at me gobble up the rum balls with amusement, I resolved to make it one of favorite desserts.

Rum balls are like a truffles, sweet, and flavored with chocolate and, yes, rum. It is usually a no-bake delicacy, made by stirring together wafer crumbs, confectioners sugar, pecans (if you want), unsweetened cocoa, flavored by some light or dark rum and held together to become small balls by corn syrup.  It is supposed to be a popular christmas snack in countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, Austria and Hungary.  However, Americans have come up with a variety of rum ball recipes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for your visit :)

Desserts...hummm...goood... :P

Post a Comment