Thursday, October 8, 2009

Commercial Cookery, here I come!

Life has gently but firmly prodded me to try something new this time. I have been accepted as a scholar and I am going to study a short course in one of the schools here in our city for free. That short course would be COMMERCIAL COOKERY, or COMMERCIAL COOKING.

Now I say that this is new because this is far far far different from my current job. I have done some cooking in our house and my family said it tastes alright.  But then, my family has always been very supportive and it is a no-no in our house to say hurtful words against each other.

Anyway, back to Commercial Cookery class. Now that I am in, I would probably try my best to finish and do well in class.  My first problem is that I want to keep my "real" job a secret. I mean, we are all scholars in class so we pay for nothing. I feel a little guilty about this. I mean, based on my almost nil bank account, I really should be a scholar but people might not understand if they know what I do for a living. My classmates are out-of-school youths, single moms and  young people who are hoping to work abroad. As for me, I just want to try this out and see if I would progress as a cook--or a chef. I mean, I like eating out and new dishes excite me so why not own a restaurant, eh? There are times when I wish I  have predicted that culinary arts would be a big thing but, when I was entering college (which was eons ago), the only courses I knew are accounting, engineering and masscom.

Tonight would be our third meeting. The first meeting was dedicated to learning how to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint (hello, as if my heart does not palpitate if I am away from my laptop for hours). The second meeting was about "Practice Career Professionalism".  Things like social development skills and ten commandments of good communication were discussed. Tonight, there would be a quiz about that and, crazy me, I am actually feeling nervous!

I wonder how long it would be before we discuss about food, recipes and food-tasting. I am actually excited to wear my red apron (with a robot print that was a gift to me from my nephews) and use my mother's most treasured (yeah, it took me a while to un-earth it from her hiding place) 8-inch chef's knife.

Gotta go. I still have to memorize the Principles of Human Relations for our quiz tonight. Soon, I hope I would be able to post photos of me and my classmates wearing toques and photos of the food we prepared. But as of now, I have to learn how to have career professionalism first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment