Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How I Can Save Money

               Last year, I was bugging hubby to look for another job. I knew he was unhappy were he was. Everyday I got a load of complaints about his boss, about their system, about his salary, yak yak yak... So I told him pointblank that he was dragging me down the "half-empty" lane and that he had to do something about it.

               So, now, we are blessed because he really did looked for another job and got accepted. He resigned from his "rotten"  job (he said that, not me) and moved on to a government agency with a "happier" and stressed-free atmosphere. Along with that blessing is the "unfortunate" waiting period before he can receive his salary. For some reason, it may be put on hold for at least two months. On the third month, he can get three months worth of salary, but still, there is that dismal waiting period. While I am willing to bring home the bacon for the time being, we do have to be try being more frugal.

             sigh.

             I looked around for some advice on how to do that and came up with the following resolutions:
1. Now is the best time to go on a diet. 
    Nope, I did not say starve. Diet. A good and healthy diet by eating more vegetables. I think I can save a lot if we do meatless at least three days a week and go veggie. Vegetables are low in calories and fat and, as a result, help us control weight effectively. They are a good source of dietary fiber and provide us with extra energy. Aside from that, vegetables contains beneficial antioxidants that help reduce the risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease. And, fortunately, vegetables are not very expensive here in our place.

2. Save on coffee! 
     I am an absolute coffee addict, lover, fan, dependent... and I have made my husband a coffee-lover too. So we do spend a lot on coffee and in coffee shops. So now here's my great plan: stop ordering coffee to go. Instead, we will just make coffee at home. I am sure I can still unearth my reliable coffee maker which I think is more than willing to help. Also, in case, we have to hang out at coffee shops to meet friends, I will not order expensive coffee anymore. A simple americano or latte will do. I never liked those mountainous cream they put on those expensive mixes anyway. A simple black coffee or a latte will be heaven enough.

3. Do not go grocery shopping when hungry. 
This I can attest to: our shopping bill is bigger whenever I go shopping hungry. I see potato chips, chocolates and expensive sausages clearly. Whenever hungry, I get more of those things and, thus, the bill skyrocket.

4. Avoid impulse buying. 
     I have been trying to practice this for a time now. I think I have been successful but there are just some days when a shiny, pricey, beautiful thing would catch me weak. But I promise to be stronger now. Whenever I see something I am interested in, waiting would be a good thing. I have agonized over a very expensive pair of clogs once. I postponed buying it three times until I was not interested anymore. Desires do wear out.

5. Become homebuddies!
     This is perfect right? If we are not in the mall, we cannot shop. If we do not go out at night, we cannot buy expensive drinks. Better stay at home, eat our veggies and watch TV.

                 Oddly, the thought of being frugal for at least two months excites me. I can finally watch those DVDs I have borrowed. I can finally try that pasta Alfredo recipe I have discovered and -- the most beautiful thing at all -- hubby can get his three-month worth of salary soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,its nice articles blog.

Pokagon Member said...

bohzo (hello)

Greetings from Michigan, have a great day!

Post a Comment