Thursday, January 28, 2010

Porky and Veggie

Last night, my long lost cousin Ngets (I like to call her that), showed up in my office. She said she was hungry and invited me to go out and eat -- her treat. She wanted me to choose the restaurant and I readily said Bigby's. Ngets usually is very thrifty but she gets her extravagant episodes every now and then, especially when food is involved.

Bigby's is not what I call cheap. And I do not think it's expensive too. The yummy yummy yummy food are reasonably priced, considering the serving size, the taste, and of course, the great service. 

It was only 5:30 in the afternoon but Ngets wanted a heavy meal. She let me choose from the menu. She trusts me that much. Anyway, I decided to become cute and ordered a salad for us to share. Turned out, she likes salad greens and she loved the romaine lettuce, croutons, mangoes and grapes combination. It was sprinkled with lots of grated parmesan cheese and had this one big scoop of chicken-mayo combi on top.

For the heavies, I ordered a platter of grilled baby back ribs, porkchop and pork belly. The melt-in-your-mouth meat was heaven!

There are a lot of grilled pork recipes -- terriyaki, honey-garlic, etc... They are all delicious. But I think what makes a difference is the juiciness of the meat. In our cooking class (look ma! I learned something!) we were taught to pan-fry the meat first after marinating and before grilling or baking to lock in the taste and the juiciness of the meat.

With all those delicious recipes, my absolute all-time favorite marinade for grilled pork will always be a combination of these: soy sauce with a twist of lemon, garlic (the more the better) and black pepper (the more the better!). 

Till the next food foodtrip.


1 comment:

sgfoodlover said...

simple and nice blog indeed... Thanks for dropping by! Happy blogging!

Post a Comment